What I Love About Lubbock, Texas by C J Oakes, Lubbockite since 2009 Remington Park, one of the many small, yet beautiful Playa Lakes scattered throughout Lubbock, Texas. Image Source: C J Oakes, BuyLocalLubbock.com, Creative Commons use by attribution. There...
Large Multi-National Corporations are Taking Over America!
At every level of society, the big corporations are shutting out small, local businesses, damaging local economies, and undermining the American way of life. In recent years we saw…
- Big Oil Spiked Prices, driving inflation which made it harder for local businesses to complete–then they dropped prices nearly as much as they increased them, causing massive layoffs, further hurting local people. Now there is talk in the industry of another huge spike, which will do further harm to local busineses through inflation.
- Multi-National Banks Investing in Junk Bonds destroyed the housing market, causing massive foreclosures and bankruptcies nationwide. Those hardest hit lived in small to mid-sized cities. Then these same corporations used the mantra that they were “too big to fail” and get the Federal Government to bail them out–A bill the taxpayers are now paying. Again, the result is higher taxes which further harm local business and economies, making them more reliant on Federal handouts.
- ObamaCare was passed in 2010 and for the next several years lawmakers fought over whether to keep it and how or not. Aside from taking much-needed attention away from the economy, this Act had the effect of driving up costs for small and mid-size businesses, making it still harder for them to compete against the Big Boys.
- Major Corporations have moved manufacturing overseas in order to take advantage of cheap labor and lower taxes; in the process, the harm to local communities was three-fold–jobs lost, local busineses could not compete, with many going out of business, and local communities lost revenue vital to maintaining local schools and infrastructure.
- Big Money Corporations are Flooding DC with Big Money Donations…The goal is simple: Maintain the status quo. The major corporations would not be spending this money if they did not fear losing their comfy position among the Washington elite. Why are they afraid? Because people are starting to see what is going on…
Is it TIME to FIGHT Back?…How?
No business alone can fight the power already gained by the multi-national business conglomerates. No one can oppose their entrenched Lobbyists in Washington alone.
But together, we can make a stand.
Together, we can make a Difference.
Yet, it is more than just a goal. Lubbock is the best place in America to live, play, and raise a family. A big part of this is our economy, which is strong, but could be stronger. The big money interests are trying to do to Lubbock what they have done in other cities around the nation.
Cities which were once strong are today in shambles, their economies in ruins, their schools and parks falling apart, and their city governments declaring bankruptcy. Why?
Because too many people and businesses failed to oppose the interests of the big corporations such as Wal-Mart, Citi-Group, DISH, Comcast, and many others. Instead of fighting their unsavory influence, many embraced these corporations and supported them with their dollars. These dollars then flowed out of local communities into overseas trusts where they did nothing to sustain local cities.
At BuyLocalLubbock.com, we do our part to help Lubbock maintain one of the strongest economies in the nation despite what other cities choose.
Here are the Top 10 ways to strengthen our local Economy and Keep Lubbock Great:
- Help people locate reputable local businesses.
- Encourage all in our community to use local businesses whenever possible.
- Review local businesses so that all know the best local places to eat, shop, and be entertained.
- Engage in public discussions on keeping Greater Lubbock Great.
- Support local charities first
- Help local businesses better connect with homeowners in need of their services.
- Help homeowners find reputable local contractors.
- Help local retailers even the playing field against big box corporations.
- Join the Buy Local movement, a strong Voice for Keeping Lubbock Great!
- Support the Buy Local Movement financially through contributions and Local Business memberships.
Buy Local When Possible Lubbock
As our nation has grown, a shift away from smaller, local businesses has occurred. Larger, national corporations have often entered smaller cities with fanfare. After all, who hasn’t cheered when their small town got a McDonald’s or Sonic?
Even in mid-size cities like Lubbock, when a new restaurant franchise or specialty shopping center comes to town, the general consensus is excitement. We flock to the stores to find out what we have been missing. We spend our locally-earned income on stuff just because it’s fun. And there is nothing wrong with that.
However, on the flip side is the simple fact that any time we spend revenue outside of Lubbock when we could spend it here, we harm the local economy in a small way. Just a small way. Yet, even a glass of water is simply thousands of small drops.
At BuyLocalLubbock.com, our position is simple: When possible, spend locally.
We live and shop here too. We know that sometimes, it is not always possible to buy local. Here are some of the reasons we may not always buy local…
- Cannot find what we need locally
- Cannot find the quality we expect locally
- Cannot afford to buy the item/service needed from a local merchant
- Don’t know our options
- Don’t care to buy local
These are all valid reasons for us to choose to buy from a national chain, even online. Indeed, one of the biggest reasons many choose to buy from national chains rather than buy local is price. Why spend $10 when you can get it for five? And certainly, if the item cannot be found from a local company, it is simply not possible to buy local.
Understanding this, at Buy Local we determined to develop a way for our community to quickly locate great local alternatives to shopping national brands. Part of our goal involves helping our neighbors in Lubbock locate the items/services they need at the prices and level of quality they expect.
What You Will Find at Buy Local Lubbock
At Buy Local Lubbock, you will find plenty of tools and resources to help you make informed decisions about your buying habits.
- Local Listings – Because our goal is to give our neighbors the tools needed to buy local when possible, we provide a listing/directory of all the businesses in Lubbock which are locally owned and operated. The directory is open to any local Lubbock business owner, whether large-scale or a one-man show. The only requirement for inclusion is to be Lubbock-based.
- Recommended Local Businesses – Aside from the directory, we have gone further by checking out numerous local contractors, merchants, restaurants, and others to provide you with our recommendations. These are Lubbock-based businesses that hold to the highest standards of customer service, quality, and craftsmanship. In other words, these are the Lubbock company’s we would send to our Mom. They are trusted, dependable, and offer a great value to our neighbors seeking to buy local.
- Local Charities – We also believe that charity should start at home. Thus, at Buy Local we encourage our neighbors to support local charitable organizations when possible. Of course, there are many wonderful national and international charities and we are not suggesting that you stop giving to these. Rather, we simply want to make known those local charities which are doing great work right here in our community. In addition, we seek to help local charities with their fund-raising drives in any way we can.
- Local News and Events – Lubbock is a thriving community. There is much to do here. In our news and events section, we will include any goings on that have an impact on our local community.
- Local Demographics (Private) – This is a section for business geeks and anyone wanting to get a clearer picture of the local business landscape as it changes. In this section, we include information gathered from local Lubbock surveys, which are conducted both through this site and directly with the public. Member Businesses gain access to the aggregate data from these surveys.
- Local Reviews – Each week we will review local businesses to give you the scoop. Who is best, who is less so, what can you expect to find when visiting the business, etc.
If you are not yet convinced of the need to Buy Local, we recommend you read Why Buy Local?
Buy Local Lubbock is Here for You
As stated, our mission is to help our neighbors in Lubbock Buy Local. This is the only way to fight back against the undermining efforts of the major, multi-national corporations investing anywhere other than America.
We know that the Number 1 reason most people don’t buy local is because they are unsure which company’s are actually local. Because it is not always easy to identify which businesses are locally-owned and operated, we are here to help.
Part of what we do is visit our neighbors with the Buy Local Lubbock message. During these visits, we seek the input of everyone in Lubbock by presenting them with the opportunity to participate in our surveys. One goal of the Buy Local Lubbock surveys is to help make Lubbock a better place for everyone.
Another goal is to find ways to further strengthen our local economy.
Still another goal, is to provide local businesses with the tools they need to better compete against the large, national corporations.
Membership in BuyLocalLubbock.com is Free to Residents of Lubbock, Texas and the surrounding communities including…
- New Deal
- Buffalo Springs
- Ransom Canyon
- and all points in between.
For more information about advantages of Individual and Business Memberships, visit our Members Page.
Whether you choose to become a member of Buy Local Lubbock or not, one way you can help is to bookmark this page, share it by clicking on the social media buttons on this page, or drag this link to your browser toolbar–do what you must to keep us in mind and visit often. Return often because…
- We will display specials when made available from local merchants and provide coupons.
- We will host fun events and do our part to grow our Lubbock economy.
- You may participate in surveys and special events.
- You will learn of great deals found throughout Lubbock and the South Plains of Texas.
- You will stay in touch with your local community.
- You can keep up on jobs with our local jobs board coming soon.
We strongly encourage you to get involved by taking our surveys and talking to your friends and families about the importance of buying local.
We believe that Lubbock and the South Plains of Texas is the best place in America in which to live and raise a family. Together, we can keep it so. Read more about why here.